Friday, February 25, 2011

Peanut Butter choc chip Whoopie pies


You can probably tell by the pictures that these Whoopie Pies were a valentine treat made with lots of sweet love.

Yup in the lead up to Feb 14th I really think I can put a heart onto anything. But don't worry hearts or not these whoopie pies are actually a perfect anytime treat.

Originally I made the heart toppers and popped them into some mini cupcakes, but alas my valentine does not care for overly sweet cupcakes.

Then someone asked me to make up a batch of whoopie pies for their special valentine and I realised I had my solution (thank you Anna).



I find that the classic marshmallow filling below makes enough to join 2 batches of whoopies cakes, so I made up one plain chocolate chip for my friend and then modified the peanut butter whoopie recipe from "Whoopie Pies" by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell to incorporate chocolate chips.



Recipe after jump

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Whoopies (makes approx 15 joined pies depending on size)
based on a recipe from Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 tsp bi carb soda (baking soda)
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
57g (1/2 stick or 2 oz) unsalted butter at room temperature
57g (2 oz) vegetable shortening (substitute unsalted butter if you do not have any veg shortening)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F). Line 2 trays with parchment paper (you may need an extra lined tray depending on the size)

Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt.

Mix together butter, shortening, brown sugar, peanut butter and vanilla until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time ensuing they are well combined and scraping bowl as needed.

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix at medium/low until just combined, stopping mixer and scrapping down sides as required. Add 1/2 the buttermilk mixture and mix until combined, continue for remaining flour and buttermilk finishing with the flour.

Using a spatula (or the mixer on very low) gently fold through the choc chips.

Place batter onto the trays in measures of around 2 Tbsp and spacing the mixture 9cm (3") apart. Shape the batter into neat rounds if you can as it will affect the finished whoopie shape.

Bake for around 18 mins or until the cakes are golden at the edges and firm in the center. Remove from oven and cool on trays for around 5 mins before transferring to wire rack to cool.

Once cooled you can fill as desired. I filled mine with grape jelly (jam) and classic marshmallow whoopie filling.



'Classic" marshmallow filling
(This recipe is enough to fill 2 batches of whoopie pies)
1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup icing (confectioner's) sugar
3 tsp (US - 1 tbsp) vanilla extract

In a stand mixer beat together marshmallow fluff and shortening at medium speed until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.

Reduce to low speed and mix in sugar and vanilla, beat until well mixed, scrape down as required. Increase speed to medium high and mix until fluffy approx 3 mins.

If you use this marshmallow filling it is super sticky so you will need to store your whoopie pies with care. They will stay fresh for a couple of days in an airtight container. I have read you can freeze them by wrapping individually in plastic wrap and then freezing in an airtight container. When defrosting leave them wrapped and in the container to stop the condensation from making the pies soggy.

See my previous post on the classic chocolate chip whoopie recipe it also has hints about locating marshmallow fluff and crisco in Australia

9 comments:

  1. They look so "sweet" with these lovely hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - my Hubby will love these!! Thanks for sharing ;0)
    PS - I love the hearts too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum they look perfect! I love the little hearts, very cute. I will have to try some of the other recipes in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so cute and sound tasty! I even have that book, but have yet to make anything from it! I need to do so, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this book and almost bought it too, although a lot of the ingredients aren't avaliable here. Your whoopie pies are adorable! I love the heart decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Linda! I wondered what that book was like. I love ordering books online but I just wish we could flick through them first! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute cute toppers!!

    ReplyDelete