Thursday, December 6, 2012

Elegant Ornament Cookies


Elegant Ornament Cookies with hand piped royal icing details and jelly jewels.

Yup instead of baking crushed candy into the holes I decided to use the soft jelly jewels for a little extra elegance.

Which by the way jelly gems are the only type of jewels in this household.


and that was the case even before someone kicked in our front door a few weeks back to rob us. Happily our monitored security and vigilant neighbors stepped up immediately and they were only in the house for a total of 1 minute before fleeing.


Otherwise with nothing else of value to steal they might have resorted to taking my jelly jewels in which case you would totally not be enjoying the pictures of these cookies.

Plus the amount of time I have spent on the phone to insurance, police and people re fixing the door has really eaten into my blogging time. So totally inconvenient - don't those thieves know I have cookies to bake and treats to make. 


Anyhoo back to cookies. I am a fan of white on white Christmas cookies. But I did decided to try out a pink and gold version. Except I was all out of luster dust so the hand painting didn't quite come out like I had hoped, but they were still super pretty. I think perhaps I should have used the edible glitter, it's on my list for next time :)


Edit update I have a youtube video tutorial on how to make the sugar cookie cut out dough up:


Shopping/Photo Details
Cookie Cutter - Fancy Flours
Gingham ribbon, cards and small rectangle tin (set) - Greengate - Originated Shop
Jelly Jewels - mine Culpitt from Party Animal Online
Large round Pink Tin - Just Plain Gorgeous (Balmoral QLD)


Elegant Ornament Cookie Instructions

Sugar Cookie Dough (I used the recipe from Sweets on a Stick any good recipe will do)
wooden rolling pin
Ornament Cookie Cutter
White ready roll fondant (I used Bakels)
brush and water
Royal Icing in a piping bag with small plain tip
Jelly Jewels
small rolling pin
Icing tip with large round tip #12


Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and use ornament cutter to cut out shapes. Place on a tray lined with parchment paper. Chill for 1/2 an hour until firm then bake in preheated oven (160 C or 320 F) for around 15minutes or until golden.

Remove from oven and quickly using the #12 icing tip cut 3 holes into the cookies (look at pictures for examples). Allow cookies to cool for around 5 mins and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Knead the white fondant and using the small rolling pin roll out on a cornflour (cornstarch) dusted workbench until quite thin. Using the ornament cutter cut out shapes. Brush a small amount of water onto the cookies and then press the fondant on top of the cookie using the rolling pin and gently pressing into place. Use the # 12 tip to press out 3 holes in the fondant ensuring they are in the same spot as the holes in the cookie underneath.

Pipe the desired design onto the cookie with the royal icing and allow to set.


Finally pipe a little royal icing into each hole (I piped around the edge of each round) and press the jelly jewel into place.



Linda Vandermeer is the author of Sweets on a Stick: More than 150 Kid Friendly recipes for cakes, candies, cookies and pies on the go. You can pick it up at all good online book shops including these shops:



Or here at fishpond (Aus/NZ)

Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!
Linked to:


7 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! I wish I could do things like that. Unfortunately my craft projects tend to turn out looking rather abysmal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those edible gems are so cool! Your cookies definitely are elegant and beautiful! If I was a cookie thief, I would steal them:) I'm glad you are all okay and you have such an upbeat attitude about the break-in! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're gorgeous Linda! Love the piping work and the jewels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! The jewels really add a touch of class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! I've never seen the edible gems!

    Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/christmas-holiday-ideas/

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those edible jelly gems are kinda cool since they are soft and I do most of my baking for kids :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous. So glad that robber didn't take your edible jewels and more importantly, anything else. Wow.

    ReplyDelete