Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Eyes without a face.... Make your own Royal Icing Edible Eyes


 
When ever I make cookies I always end up with left over Royal Icing.

If it's white or pink or some other normal colour I don't mind. I know it's wasteful, I usually throw it away. But I seem to have some kind of huge problem throwing away perfectly good black royal icing.

Maybe it's all the black food color that makes it seem so hard to do, I don't know why all I know is I really really want to use up all that extra black icing.

So here is one of the things I do.

Rows and rows and rows......and rows of edible eyes.



It's pretty easy, just lay down some baking paper/parchment paper. Pipe on rows of little white dots around the size you might like the eyes to be. I like to make mine a few different sizes.


Allow the white dots to dry, overnight is perfect, but at least for a couple of hours until set, and then pipe little black dots on top of the white royal icing dots.

Voila edible eyes

Let them set until the easily come off the paper - you should be able to lift it and shake it and they will move by themselves.


Then you can just store them in a container to use as needed.

If you use powdered egg whites and you made them hygienically these eyes should last in an air tight container for many months.

and what do I do with all those eyes you might ask. Well they sure came in handy when I was testing out ideas for Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!. Yes these eyes are perfect for all types of cake, cookie or pie pops. Whenever you need a cute little face you'll be thankful that you have these little eyes sitting around handy.

8 comments:

  1. That's a good idea! I'll have to remember this next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saving idea for next year's Halloween!! FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo doing this, Linda! Custom sizes/colors and so much cheaper-brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds think alike! I couldn't bring myself to pitch the icing either. So I have a few sheets of little eyeballs for future projects tucked away. I guess Halloween is a good time for this because I rarely make black royal icing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a recipe for your royal icing edible eyes? Will you share?

    ReplyDelete