Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wedding Cake Sugar cookies and a Handmade Wedding DIY shoot with Luminoso Blu and Naomi V


A little while ago, I made some treats for Luminoso Blu for a 'Handmade' Wedding shoot for the Queensland Brides magazine to accompany an article Renee from Luminoso Blu wrote.


I provided some simple swirl cupcakes, upside down cake pops decorated with a white fondant sugar heart, rustic stacked trio of cookies and large wedding cake shaped cookies decorated with red hearts.


All photo's by Naomi V Photography.

Tissue paper bouquet: Ah-Tissue

The cookies are a great idea for a DIY bride as they can easily be made a week and a half before, placed in cello bags with ribbon and card or boxed and stored in large airtight containers. Just make sure everything is super clean when you are making them and that you give them a chance to set/dry before you bag them.


To make the large wedding cake cookies I simply made a batch of sugar cookie dough (click here for a link to my sugar cookie recipe). Cut out the cookies with a large cake shaped cookie cutter, baked and allowed to cool. Then I rolled out the ready roll fondant on a cornflower/ cornstarch dusted workbench (I use Bakels ready to roll fondant it's available online at specialty cake stores try Cakes Around Town or Baking Pleasures) and using the large cake shaped cookie cutter I cut out fondant and adhered it to the already baked and cooled cookie using a small amount of clean water and a brush you only use for food purposes.

Then I used a small amount of fondant coloured red with gel food colour (knead the colour into the fondant very well, try and do the night before for best results) rolled it out thinly and cut out hearts with 2 different sized heart cutters. I carefully pinched the ends and pulled them to the side to give the heart a bit of a funky look. I adhered the hearts to the white fondant covered cookies with a tiny amount of water and allowed them to set uncovered.


Like I said perfect DIY and you can easily change the colours to match your own special event.

Invitations and table place cards: Kijaro Invitations

Here is a list of the lovely contributors


DIY crafting and styling: Luminoso Blu Events
Photography: Naomi V Photography
Invitations and table place cards: Kijaro Invitations
Cake: Miss Jane's Cakes
Cookies, cake pops and cupcakes: Bubble and Sweet
Tissue paper bouquet: Ah-Tissue
Milk Glass: Hummingbird Vintage Hire
Flowers: A Sculpted Leaf 

 
This is just a quick shot I took myself before the shoot to show the stacked cookies up close

and a quick link to my book of kid friendly cooking and decorating available for pre order for December release.

5 comments:

  1. You really do have one of the best jobs in the world!! Love the bakes and colour scheme for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love the red and white colour theme. Very pretty cookies and it's such a striking colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea those stacked cookies!Lovely photoshoot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stacked and wedding cake cookies! So beautiful in red and white, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the decorated wedding cookies. My sister is getting married soon and these might be a lovely touch for homemade bonbonniere. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete