Saturday, December 18, 2010

White Christmas snowflake decorated sugar cookies


This weekend I'm all about white while I make some treats for my friends winter wonderland table.

Have just finished up these white snowflake sugar cookies decorated with marshmallow fondant and royal icing.


White stand from Sharnel Dollar Designs Pom Poms from Ah-Tissue

White, although elegant can be a little boring so I tried to add some texture, I also included some silver accents as the table will also incorporate silver, but these cookies would look elegant without the addition as well.


See the 3 different cookies above you can add as much or as little decoration as you like or a mixture is nice as well.


Snowflake Winter Wonderland cookies

Make up batch of sugar cookie dough (recipe below) and cut out snowflake cookies, I bought my cutter from Little Betsy Baker.

Bake as per instructions until golden and allow to cool completely.

Roll out fondant (mine is a mixture of 2 thirds marshmallow fondant and one third white ready roll fondant but you can use what you like) on a surface dusted with cornflour or icing sugar and using the same snowflake cookie cutter cut out the snowflake shape. Make sure the cookie cutter is clean and dry before you start cutting.

Using a clean brush that is only used for food purposes brush a tiny amount of water onto the cookie and then adhere the fondant gently rolling on with a small rolling pin. #



Using a clean foodsafe stamp press into the middle of each cookie to make a pretty indentation.

Mix up a little royal icing, I just used the powdered ready mix packet stuff for this and I added a little white white Wilton food colour. Pop it into a bag or disposable glad zip lock with a #2 tip and dot little decorations around the cookie. If you don't have a tip you could cut a really really tiny hole at the corner of the zip lock bag.



Add edible silver balls or other decorations as you like.


#Fondant dries out pretty quickly so I work with a little fondant at a time covering one cookie. The remaining fondant I leave wrapped in a little cling wrap/ glad wrap until I need it.

Sugar Cookie Recipe

114 grams unsalted butter (1 stick or 4 ounces) softened to room temperature
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 extra large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon plain flour sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Using a mixer cream butter and sugar.

Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until dough comes together.

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 30 mins.

Roll out dough to approx 7mm thick, cut out cookie shapes and chill for another 30 mins on trays. Bake at oven preheated to 180 C (350 f) for 10 to 15 mins depending on cookie size.

13 comments:

  1. Once again you are the cookie stamp queen. I love this idea and I love these snowflake cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing, like something straight out of a Donna Hay cookbook! The fondant icing looks great, especially with the pretty stamp on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cookies and the fondant looks so neat white! I had made similar with marzipan, which did not have this white in it, I should try the fondant as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowflakes look SO PRETTY with the stamp! I haven't seen any other like it. So beautiful and unique! Love the setting, especially the cake stand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I like the sound of the fondant too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea using stamps in the centre Linda! They look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful!!! A true work of art. Congratulations! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic. Your attention to detail is great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent an e-mail. Just reading it, please answer me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies look so pretty! Almost too good to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just too Great. I actually like what you've acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful site.
    Carlisle 435506 Beige 9-1/2-Inch Polycarbonate Buffet Pasta Fork (Case of 12)

    ReplyDelete