Monday, November 22, 2010

Chocolate 'Christmas Pudding' Cupcake Tutorial


OK I seem to have a bit of a fake pudding thing going on here. Obsessed much?

Seeings as I don't actually like pudding so I don't know where it's coming from.

I do however like these chocolate cupcakes, they're a bit of a reworked version of the sundae cupcakes I make which were inspired by the super talented Hello Naomi.
Sundae cupcakes.....change the colours and they become Christmas Pudding cupcakes

I did make one change which I am really happy with that I've been thinking about ever since I made the last batch. Instead of a rolled red ball of fondant on the top I have dipped a Tim Tam Truffle in red chocolate. It's like a cakepop topper....sooo much yummier.
I also did a version with some coffee flavoured ganache I had sitting around and I'm loving it as well. Of course you could just use a jaffa which would be tasty as well.
Oh and how lovely are the petite little mini stands. My wonderful friend Jo gave them to me as a gift, and she bought them for me from Mon Tresor.


Of course the cupcake wrappers are from The Cupcake Wrapper Co. I was lucky enough to win this packet of Christmas wrappers on their blog a while back.

I also tried out a version of the 'pudding' using Chocolate Modeling paste instead of fondant. It worked but the fondant is easier to work with, maybe chocolate fondant would be a good middle ground next time I make them.
Modeling Chocolate used instead of brown fondant in this one

Christmas Pudding Cupcake Tutorial

Ingredients and Equipment

Un-iced Cupcakes
Frosting - buttercream or ganache your choice
Rolled Fondant
Brown and Green Gel type food colour
Mini Cake or Cookie pops dipped in red chocolate or jaffas
Cake smoother
Small offset spatula
Mini rolling pin
Round cutter size of cupcake (I used a cup as I didn't have a cutter quite the right size)
Ikea cutters

This is the set of Ikea cutters available from their kitchen wear section

When making your cupcakes only fill the paper cups about half full as pictured so that the end cupcake is even and flat.

Using the small offset spatula, cover the cupcake with frosting in a smooth dome shape.


Colour some fondant brown, roll out and cut out circle shape.
Place on top of frosted cupcake and using a cake smoother gently smooth the fondant out towards the edge.




If you have a lot of overlap you can carefully cut along the edge with a sharp knife.


Roll out white fondant (not too thin as you will be rolling the cut out further) and using the small 'splatter' shape from the Ikea plastic cutter set cut out white fondant.
Using the small rolling pin roll out the splatter shape to make it larger and even more misshapen. Attach to brown fondant using a little water if necessary.
Pop a little buttercream on top to adhere the round 'cherry' I have used red chocolate dipped tim tam cookie truffles for this lot. You could just roll a ball of red fondant or use a jaffa.
Colour a small amount of fondant green and shape some leaves and attach to the 'pudding' using a tiny amount of water.

Once again, wishing I had one of those holly ejector sets, but these hand shaped ones will do in a pinch.

Voila faux Christmas Pudding Cupcakes.

26 comments:

  1. They are to DIE for! You have doen a fantastic job, they look amazing. Well done ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely GORGEOUS! I'm not a Christmas cake/pudding fan either, so I love alternatives :) thanks for sharing!!

    Becs @ Stiletto Studio
    www.becslake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful as always & thankyou for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one clever lady. Love it, thank you for sharing & for the tutorial : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, you are the goddess of cupcakes!!! They look so lovely! Great tutorial! Love the cookie cutter set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those chocolate cupcakes with the pink topping are SO adorable! You do excellent work!1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Truly love all your work! I always look forward to all your new stuff..... I loooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable and sooo inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sensing a raid on Ikea for that cookie cutter set! Great work Linda. I love your cupcake designs! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, your cupcakes look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda
    You are a creative baking genius! I was just thinking earlier how each time I check into your blog I am always suprised. You certainly are not predictable! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are amazing! You have inspired me to get cracking with my Christmas baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are gorgeous Linda! :D And I'm going to try and nab a set of those cutters the next time I'm at Ikea-they have some great shapes in them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable cupcakes and a fantastic tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look wonderful! I love the pudding look too, but don't like pudding. The cake ball toppers are such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial. But wouldn't it be easier if you just sent me some???
    Wishing you and your family a wonderful thanksgiving.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! Love the cake ball for the cherry idea for extra deliciousness. And those cupcake stands are fabulous! Excellent addition to the Christmas table.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable cupcakes and simply exquisite!

    My eyes were glued at the cupcake stands, so elegant, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The lovely individual cupcake stands are available from Mon Tresor http://montresor.com.au/petite-cupcake-stands-p-339.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable! Your fondant work is flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are gorgeous. I've always wanted to work with fondant, but never have. I might use your cupcakes as my first go!

    ReplyDelete