Thursday, July 2, 2015

Perfect soft boiled eggs


What is the secret to a perfect soft boiled egg? I find that most recipes are a bit out of date now that we mostly use extra large eggs to eat rather than the old standard of large.

I get the eggs out of the fridge for a few minutes and then bring the water to a gentle simmer (low boil), add the extra large eggs using a large spoon to gently drop the to the bottom of the saucepan and cook for just 5 minutes. Then remove drain away the hot water and run under cold water for a minute to stop the cooking.


Of course everything always tastes better when it's served on something pretty and at the moment we are using Greengate stoneware range for breakfast with glasses from Daiso the discount store.


We love to mix and match the egg cups, I find the Greengate range seems to work well and I can use my older Lulu Mint egg cups with the Summer White plates. My new favourite Simone White latte cup looks perfect in the mix.

If you have a better way to cook eggs be sure to let me know.



Stockists
Plates and Egg Cups - Greengate from Simply Sweet Home
Glass - Only $2.80 each from Daiso discount stores


Linda Vandermeer is a blogger, baker, maker and author of the Children's cookbook Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go! Published in the USA in 2011 the book is still available at Amazon and many online bookstores.

Affililate links may earn me money and contribute to supporting this blog.

The owner of Simply Sweet Home is my SIL.

Original ideas, photography and recipes Linda Vandermeer please do not reuse without permission.

1 comment:

  1. I take my eggs out of the fridge and run them under warm water to take the chill off them. I also give them a little roll when I put them in the boiling water with a spoon. This helps to seal the shell if it cracks. I put them in boiling water for 4 minutes. Take them out and cut the top off with a dinner knife. Add a little salt.

    ReplyDelete