Sunday, January 8, 2012

Whimsical Bird Cookies and a Hampton's inspired party

 
One of the things I really love doing is when I am asked to create cookies to match party printables. 

This sweet birdie cookie is based on the Whimsical Bird range over at Polka Dot Prints which was the printable theme behind a beautiful Hamptons themed dessert table and party on the beach styled by Whimsy Petite Styling.

I have a tutorial on how to make the cookies at the bottom of the post but first I wanted to share the party pics with you.


Here are a couple of photo's of the kids having a fabulous time it looks like such a perfect party. I like how there seems to be less focus on an overly styled table ladden with candy and more focus on the gorgeous kids having fun and I think that these images capture it perfectly.


Although you notice I said seems to be less focus on the table. If I throw a few things together on a table I can promise you it never looks this pretty, this carefree relaxed styling takes great talent. The party was featured on Amy Atlas so kudos to Whimsy Petite Styling, Polka Dot Prints and everyone else involved in the creation of the party.


party styling Whimsy Petite Styling
printables Polka Dot Prints
Cake and cupcakes Cake Chic Sam
Photography Sheila Higgins Photography

Children's dresses Wild Blossom

Macarons and cookies Bubble and Sweet

This lovely cake was made by Cake Chic Sam  not me but it was so cute I just had to show you :)



Oh look I made some macaron pops for the table as well.......


Whimsy Bird Cookies
Instructions are for the round cookie - to make the square cookie follow the instructions using a square cutter and place the smaller bird up higher as per the pictures.


Round cookies (see note below re recipe)
Round cookie cutters
small sharp knife
set of tear shaped fondant cutters
edible pen in black
Ready Roll Fondant (or marshmallow fondant) colored with wedgewood blue and dusky pink/burgandy (the light pink and burgandy are the same gel color with just more added for the deeper hue), leave a small amount white*
cornflour (cornstarch) for dusting
small rolling pin
water and clean brush
* Fondant dries out fast, work quickly and when not in use pop it into a ziplock bag or air tight container. Knead before use to make more pliable. 

Dust the workbench with a little cornflour, roll out the wedgewood blue fondant until thin and even and using the round cookie cutter cut out shapes. Brush the cookie lightly with a little water and using the small rolling pin adhere the fondant to the cookie pressing down lightly with the roller.


Roll out the light pink and medium pink fondants on a lightly dusted workbench. Using the medium and large teardrop cut out one large light pink and one medium sized medium-pink tear shape for each cookie. Using your fingers pinch the pointed end of the teardrop and pull it up slightly to make the 'tail' curve upwards (like in the pictures). Using a tiny amount of water adhere one large and one medium of the tear shapes onto the blue fondant covered cookies with the large rounded ends pointing inwards to the center of the cookie and the pointed curved tails pointing outwards.


Roll out a small amount of burgandy and white fondant and using the medium and small tear shaped fondant cutters cut a wing in each color for each cookie (small for white and medium for burgundy). Use the sharp knife to trim off the edges until the wind is in proportion to the body, using the same technique as for the body pinch the pointed end and pull it up a little to make the wing look a little curved. Use a tiny amount of water to adhere the  wings to the body of the cookie.


Allow the cookies to dry/set a little for a couple of hours. Once set you can use a black edible pen to draw on eyes, 2 small lines in a V for a beak and legs.


I used the vanilla sugar cookie recipe from my book Sweets on a Stick to make the round and square cookies. However you can use any recipe you have that you like or search this blog and I had a couple of other recipes hree.

I know I have said it before but it is a US Release however there is a conversion chart in the back to the book for metric.


Or here at fishpond (Aus/NZ)

Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!

7 comments:

  1. Too cute! I absolutely love your blog, I want to try everything you suggest!

    Nicki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely adorable! My daughter sitting over my shoulder loves these! I guess I will be looking for a tear shaped cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I visit your site Linda I smile! I always see something darling here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such BEAUTIFUL photos! I love your cookies, Linda~they are sooo sweet! I'm ready to try your fondant any day now:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally I know how to make the bird shape and once again I have another cake toy to buy after reading your blog! The cookies are darling as is the whole styled party. Congrats for being featured on Amy Atlas.
    Love Di-licious x

    ReplyDelete