Sunday, April 22, 2012

Marhsmallow Cookie Pops



At Christmas time I was in the local discount store and happened upon some marshmallow rope.

Wow - I thought to myself, that looks just like the stuff that takes me ages to mix up myself and roll into ropes, I bet it would make great marshmallow lollipop cookies. So I bought some with the intention of whipping up a batch of marshmallow rope cookies.


 OK fast forward 4 months........I still haven't got around to it, although I did use the marshmallow rope to decorate some stuff. But I still thought the cookie idea was worth trying so I popped down to the Reject shop last weekend and picked up another packed determined that this week I would get around to it.


and I did. I made marshmallow rope cookie pops, and if you don't like fondant much these are a great alternative to the original marshmallow fondant cookie pops.


Plus for $2 for a bag of 10 marshmallow ropes that works out pretty cost effective when you take into account making your own and the effort of all that rolling and twirling, oh and the packet says 'FAT and GLUTEN FREE' which is totally awesome, of course until you stick them onto the cookies which totally negates those benefits.

For a variation of these marshmallow rope cookies check out the original marshmallow fondant cookie pops on this site. You can make the home made ones any colour you like and also vary the sizes easily. Plus they are easier to bite through.

The kids found that this version was a bit chewier.


Also apoligies for the lack of posting lately, over the 2 months I have had my daughter in hospital been overseas on holidays and then had a quick hospital visit myself which has resulted in not much activity over the past couple of weeks



But I do have a couple of exciting treats coming up very soon including the Oh-Sweet Mum E-vent being hosted by Blissfully Sweet on the 27th of April. I have created a rustic inspired pie table photographed by Naomi V Photography which I can't wait to share. Oh my goodness and just wait until you see the gorgeous wall art created by Ah-Tissue behind the table.

Plus I have made a pretty cake, cookies and some other treats for a fashion inspired 10th birthday party being styled by Putting on a Party.


White Cream Outfit worn by Bubble is Tea Princess from Vintage LadyBug
Pink Outfit worn by Sweet from Eeni Meeni Miini Moh

Marshmallow Rope Cookie Pops

I used Royal Icing for the cookies in the photo's however if you like you could use Candy Coating (you know the chocolate like stuff you use for cake pops) It would work as well, plus it sets a lot quicker.

 
Sugar Cookie dough*
lollipop sticks
Royal Icing - thick spreading consistency*
Marshmallow Rope

*I used the recipes for Sugar Cookie Dough and Royal Icing from my book Sweets on a Stick however you can replace with your favorite recipe if you like.



Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!

Sweets on a Stick 0ver 150 Kid Friendly Recipes available from Amazon and Fishpond 
(and lots of other places too)



Line 3 to 4 oven trays with parchment paper (baking paper).

Roll out the cookie dough and using a  round cutter (approx  7cm or 2.5") cut out shapes and place on the prepared over trays.


 Push a lollipop stick into the side of each cookie dough round. The sticks should be parallel to the baking tray. carefully flip the cookies over to see if the lollipops stick is completely covered with dough, if not use a little excess dough and press around the stick to ensure it is covered.

Chill until firm in the fridge and then bake according to your cookies instructions, or for around 10 -15 minutes at 180C.

Let cool on trays for 5 minutes then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.



Once the cookies are cool, spread some Royal Icing on each cookie using a spatula.

Take the marshmallow rope and twirl it around until it resembles a lollipop swirl.


 Press the round firmly on the royal icing covered cookie. If the tail end keeps flicking out you may need to add a dab of royal icing in between the marshmallow to stick it together.



It may take a while to set, so I used a couple of heavy based knifes to hold it in place until it was set. You can just use any food safe item you have handy.



Leave to set overnight of until the royal icing is firm.

Store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 5 days.



9 comments:

  1. These are really cute and look easy enough to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun are those?!?! And your 2 little models are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your daughter in the hospital! Hope all is well know. Those girls are GORGEOUS models for sure. GREAT, simple idea...I always pass those ropes at the dollar store, but not anymore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Linda - I've missed you. Completely understand life taking a front seat. Hope all's well now.

    Love the whole cookie lollipop concept and your girls look beautiful. Can't wait to see your 'surprises'!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea!! They look yummy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photo's and a yummy recipe, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So clever of you to spot a potential treat in those twisted marshmallow ropes. The end result is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Therefore smart associated with you to definitely place the possible deal with within individuals garbled marshmallow rules. The outcome is actually beloved!


    Buy FUT 14 CoinsLOL Boost

    ReplyDelete