Sunday, April 25, 2010
Blueberry Pancakes taste so good
Blueberries are out of season. I went to the supermarket and there were none to be found.
But my stomach does not know about seasonal foods, it will not listen or be diverted by rows of fresh plump and reasonably priced produce.
It wants blueberry pancakes. So thank goodness for frozen berries, which are a really good alternative to fresh when baking or cooking.
I love to cook blueberry pancakes. they are so easy and taste soooo good.
makes about 10 pancakes depending on the size
2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
80 g (2 and 2/3 oz) butter, melted
300ml milk (1 and 1/4 US cups) milk
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen.
1 Start to heat the frying pan to a medium heat. Melt butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda (baking soda), salt and sugar into a bowl.
3. Using a whisk mix together the milk and eggs and then quickly whisk into the flour mixture. Whisk in the melted butter.
4. Gently fold in blueberries.
5. Melt a little butter in the pan and pour half a cup of batter into the pan and spread out to make a pancake. Cook until bubbles start to appear on surface and the edges start to set.
6. When ready to flip, carefully use a egg flip. Pop any blueberries that escape during the flip quickly back under the pancake before it sets.
7. Pop the finished pancakes on a plate in an oven set on low heat until the remaining batter has been used.
We serve our pancakes with maple syrup and cinnamon sugar.
If you have any little ones around, make sure to remember to cook a few mini pancakes for their special friends as well. Dolly pancakes are so delicious.
Mmmmm, blueberry pancakes they taste so good.